What are the proven benefits of CBD oil?
CBD oil is finally available through the NHS and approved by the FDA (both for the treatment of epilepsy) but what else can CBD oil help with?
Is it the Natural Medicine the World’s been Waiting for?
CBD oil and “medical cannabis” has been used for centuries as a natural medicine across the globe. The use of cannabis in medicine goes back to ancient times and was prescribed by doctors in the USA until prohibition in 1931. In recent years, CBD and marijuana has been legalised or decriminalised.
The decriminalisation of the plant has taken the “taboo” out of using marijuana as pain relief. More importantly, with popularity comes interest – and studies are happening all over the world to find out just what CBD can really help with. So what do we know?
CBD oil has been proven to help with a large number of both mental and physical health problems – but the most research has been carried out in relation to epilepsy. CBD has been approved in the USA and the UK to treat the condition, as research has shown CBD to be one of the most effective medicines to treat the condition.
Who is Charlotte and why is she famous in the world of CBD?
Before the use of CBD was common, a young girl called Charlotte Figi – or – suffered a severe form of epilepsy (Dravet syndrome). With their daughter suffering upwards of 300 seizures per week, Charlotte’s parents turned to a low THC, high CBD cannabis oil. After using the oil Charlotte’s seizures dropped to just 2 or 3 a month and after a high profile documentary the road to legalising CBD had been paved.
Since Charlotte’s success with the oil studies around the world have started to test CBD oil against different health issues. To say the results have been outstanding, is putting it lightly. Opioids and painkillers are popular but can be addictive – could CBD be the natural medicine to replace them?
I don’t have epilepsy – How can CBD help me and my health problems?
While CBD isn’t a miracle cure and should never be seen as one, a lot of research has shown the use of CBD oil can be beneficial to health. When used alone, a number of studies have found CBD oil may help relieve the symptoms of:
- Pain relief (particularly when used with THC);
- Reduction in anxiety and depression;
- Cancer related symptoms – when combined with prescribed treatment (it is important to note CBD is NOT a replacement for cancer treatment* and we recommend you always follow your doctor’s advice – but symptoms such as sickness, nausea and pain);
- Reduction of acne and other inflammatory skin conditions;
- Neuroprotective properties – as well as epilepsy, recent studies suggest CBD could also help with the symptoms of Parkinsons and Alzheimers disease;
- Lower blood pressure – high blood pressure is the catalyst in a wide number of health conditions and if CBD can lower a high blood pressure, theoretically it could help with conditions such as strokes, heart attacks and metabolic syndrome.
*Ongoing studies in some test tube (human) and animal studies have suggested CBD has anti-cancer properties and decreased/stopped the spread of cancerous cells – however studies are ongoing and haven’t been tested on humans yet.
Studies for CBD are still on-going and it will be a good few years before we find out all of the benefits. However, ongoing studies and hypotheses that require further studies provide an insight into the future of CBD. Current studies awaiting further research have suggested positive links between CBD and:
- Treating substance abuse;
- Antitumor properties (shown to prevent the spread of breast, prostate, brain, colon and lung cancer in animal studies);
- Antipsychotic effects (CBD could help with schizophrenia as well as other mental health conditions);
- Diabetes (studies in mice have had largely positive results).
And the research is just beginning. What problem are you trying to ease with CBD oil? Let us know in the comments, or send us a PM to see how our CBD experts can help or advise.
If you want to know more about how CBD, THC or cannabis in general can help positively impact your overall mental and physical health, stop by our store in Los Cristianos, Tenerife, contact us on social media or visit our website to see how we can help – there are no stupid questions with us!